- 抓住;使…位置固定:
He held on tight to the rope and climbed down the building.
他紧紧抓住绳子,从楼上爬了下来。
The fishing tackle was held on the top of his car by ropes.
他把钓具用绳子固定在他的汽车顶上。
- 坚持,固守:
He said he would hold on to the truth with his blood and life.
他说他会为坚持真理而奉献鲜血和生命。
We were told to hold on in the position.
我们接到命令要固守阵地。
- 继续前行;(习惯等)沿袭下来:
Hold on to the third block, then turn left.
一直往前走,到第三个街区后向左拐。
The custom has been held on nowadays.
这个习俗一直流传到现在。
- 持续,不停止:
A fierce fight held on steadily a whole day.
激烈的战斗持续了整整一天。
- 等一等,停一下;等待,停止:
“May I talk to Mr Thomas?”“Hold on, your name please, did you make an appointment?
”“我可以和托马斯先生谈谈吗?”“等一下,请问您贵姓,您事先预约了吗?”
Just hold on a minute, I'll be back at once.
请稍等一下,我马上就回来。
- 不挂断电话:
I was asked to hold on until Mr Brown was coming.
接电话的人让我不要挂电话,布朗先生这就过来接我的电话。
Hold on! I go to see if he's in.
别挂断,我去看看他在不在。