- 推迟(约会、旅行、访问等);推迟(和某人的)约会;拖延;延期:
We've invited friends to supper and it's too late to put them off now.
我已邀请朋友来吃晚饭,现在取消已来不及了。
- 抛弃;摆脱;脱去;脱掉(衣、帽等);除去:
Why don't you put off your coat?
你为何不脱掉外衣?
- 暂时把(某人)打发掉;把(某人、要求等)搪塞过去;支吾;推托;规避:
I put him off with a promise to pay him next week.
我搪塞他说下星期给他付钱。
- 打扰;使苦恼;使心烦:
Don't put me off when I'm trying to concentrate.
我正在集中注意力,别打扰我。
- 关掉,关上(灯、收音机等):
Did you put off the light when you left home?
离家时你关灯了吗?
- 阻止;劝阻;使没有勇气(做某事);使对…失去兴趣:
He was trying to make a serious point,but people kept putting him off by shouting.
他想提出一个严肃的论点,但听众一再大声叫嚷,使他讲不下去。
- 使反感;使倒胃口;使生气;使不高兴:
He's a good salesman,but his offhand manner tends to put people off.
他是个很好的推销员,可他那随便的举止容易使人反感。
- 骗售;骗人接受;用欺骗手段卖掉;混用(伪钞等):
He was several times caught trying to put off a counterfeit ten-dollar bill.
他几次被人发现企图混用掉一张10元的伪钞。
- 把(船)从岸上或另一船上放下;使(船或船员等)离岸;出航:
The ship put off at last.
船终于启航了。
- 让…下车(或飞机等),让…上岸:
I asked the bus driver to put me off near the hotel.
我请公共汽车司机在宾馆附近让我下车。
- 使入睡;使麻醉;使昏迷:
A cup of hot milk will put you off to sleep better.
喝一杯热牛奶你会睡得更踏实。
- 虚度,空费
- [口语]使分心